033 4004 3996 Ph. 0124 4839 666 Whatsapp @ +91 83750 40005


Hi Expats

We are Located in the heart of Delhi, India, Visa Advisor is the leading FRRO service Provider giving FRRO assistance & FRRO Facilitation to all outsiders (including foreigners of Indian origin) intending to stay beyond 180 days. Be it a student or medical or research or employment visas, they are required to get themselves registered with FRRO within 14 days of their arrival.

A Tourist Visa cannot be changed or converted into any other category of visa. However, apart from tourist, one can go in for a long term visa while in India.

Visa Advisor extends assistance in obtaining OVERSEAS CITIZENSHIP OF INDIA (OCI). It is mandatory for registered OCIs to carry their passports which have universal sticker for entry into/exit from India. A registered OCI is granted multiple entries for visiting India and is exempted from registration with FRRO.

Besides above, Visa Advisor offers assistance in obtaining PERSONS OF INDIAN ORIGIN CARD (PIO Card). A PIO card allows visa free travel and gives several benefits to the card holder. PIO card will be valid ONLY when accompanied with a valid passport; a PIO card is normally valid for 15 years.



  • Avoid Stress dealing with immigration documents and process in India.
  • Professional Assistance, due diligence and personalized assistance to ensure hassle free submission.
  • Regular Updates on change in law, process regarding FRRO, Indian Resident Permit, Business Visa Extension, OCI and PIO cards.
  • Full Transparency. We adhere to all government rules & regulations to ensure 100% compliance.

    • It’s mandatory to inform the FRRO within 8 weeks of relocating from your address.
    • FRRO need to be visited with relevant documents.
    • The New Address Proof has to be provided. (Lease Copy)
    • Police verification can be requested by FRRO.
    • The process can take upto 10 working days.

      • Change of employer in India is limited to inter company transfer.
      • Common Ownership of both Companies need to be proved.
      • Request for change of employer needs to be filed at the FRRO.
      • The authority to approve the change of employer is with the MHA.
      • The process can take upto 30-60 days to be complete.

        • Needed when one overstays their VISA.
        • An online appointment needs to be obtained.
        • Visit FRRO in person with relevant documents.
        • Police verification can be requested. This takes 7 working days.
        • Normally no hotel will give you accommodation if your visa has lapsed.
        • On the day of visa expiry your telephone will be disconnected.
        • Bank account will be frozen on the day of visa expiry, one need to urgently apply for an extension.
        • The process can take 7-10 working days.

          • Business Visa registration needs to be done as per terms of the visa.
          • Tax documents like company ITR, balance sheet etc. are required.
          • Undertaking letter is required from the company for the person who registration is requested.
          • Letter pertaining to proof of residence is needed.
          • Based on the location, the process is normally completed in a single visit to the FRRO.

            • Employment Visa need to be applied within 14 days arrival in India.
            • Document from the company are needed to support the visa extension.
            • Proof of address is needed, either Lease or C form.
            • Monthly and Annual Salary Certificate are also needed.
            • Personal appearance at FRRO is mandatory.
            • The registration normally happens the same day.
            •  Resident permit is issued on completion of registration.
            • The visa is valid for one year from date of issue of the validity of employment contract.

              • If there is a change in name of an organization, FRRO needs to be notified of the change.
              • The FRRO need to be approached to effect the changes.
              • Documents pertaining to Change of Name need to be submitted.
              • The residence permits of all expats need to be changed and updated to reflect the new name.

                • If a Non-Indian is born in India, it will need a Visa.
                • The first thing that one will need is a passport of the home country/Parents country.
                • The parents can then apply for an exit permit to take the baby out of the country.
                • If they are staying in India then they will need a Dependent Visa.
                • The dependent visa will need to be applied at the FRRO.
                • Visa fees will need to be paid and documents submitted.
                • The process normally happens on the same day.

                  • If you have married a Non-Indian national you need to register the marriage.
                  • The FRRO only accepts marriage under “Special Marriage Act”.
                  • The Documents then need to be filed at the FRRO.
                  • The file will then be sent for police verification to verify the documents submitted.
                  • The file will also be sent to the Ministry of Home Affairs who will approve the visa.
                  • A Family or Dependent visa will be issued.
                  • The process can take anywhere between 4 to 12 weeks or more depending on the location.

                    • There are times when the family of a person on employment visa arrive at a later date.
                    • The family who are on dependent visa, also need to be registered.
                    • The process of registration is similar as that of the primary visa holder.
                    • The validity of the visa will be the same as the primary applicant.
                    • Entry/Dependent visa need to be applied within 14 days of arrival in India.
                    • Documents pertaining to entry visa submitted at FRRO (marriage & birth certificate).
                    • The process is normally completed within the same day.

                      • RP / Visa extension need to be applied 30 to 45 days before expiry as per terms of resident permit.
                      • Income tax return, Tax deduction challans, Form 16, 26AS are all needed.
                      • Undertaking letter is needed from the company.
                      • Proof of residence is required.
                      • Visa fees needs to be paid.
                      • Based on the location, the process can happen either same day or can take 15 days.




Indian FRRO Registration Overview

One common rite of passage for long-term outsiders in India is a trip (or trips) to the FRRO. It is probably too much of India to throw on a newcomer, but many must visit within the first 14 days. Here is an overview of what the Indian FRRO is and why FRRO Registration might be important for you.


What is the FRRO?

The Foreigners Regional Registration Office (FRRO) handles all the services related to foreigners living in India.


Do I have to register?

It depends on your visa and how long you plan on being in India. Your printed Indian visa may mention if you need to register and under what terms. If your visa says you must register, then you should. Otherwise, you can follow these guidelines:

Category 1 (Need to Register): If you are on an Employment, Student, Research, Project, or Medical(and attendant) visa, you must register regardless of the length of your stay (provided the visa is valid for at least 180 days).

Category 2 (Maybe Register): If you are on a Business, Entry, or Journalist visa, you must register ifyou plan on making one continuous stay for more than 180 days OR wish to extend your validity.

Category 3 (No Register): Foreign Diplomats and OCI cardholders do not need to register. Touristvisas are not valid for a single visit of more than 180 days, and therefore do not need to register.

Failing to register is illegal and can get you in big trouble when you try to leave the country (up to 5 years in prison and a fine upwards of Rs. 10,000).

Spouses should come to the FRRO to register. No one under 16 is required to register, but consult your local office before leaving the kids at home as rules can vary and some offices require children 12 and over to sign in person.


When should I register?

If you are in Category 1, you should register within 14 days of arriving. If you are in Category 2, you can register anytime within your first 150 days.

Pakistan and Bangladesh nationals must register within 24 hours. Afghan nationals must register within 7 days. Sri Lankans also have special terms that should be researched beforehand.

If you miss the deadline, you a liable to pay a fee (currently Rs. 1395) when you do register.


Where is the FRRO?

FRROs are located in Ahmedabad, Amritsar, Bangalore, Chennai, Delhi, Dehradun, Goa, Gurgaon, Hyderabad, Kochi, Kolkata, Kozhikode, Lucknow, Mumbai, and Thiruvananthapuram. If you live outside of one of these areas, you can register with the nearest Superintendent of Police (SP) or Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP), but it is advisable to travel to the nearest FRRO.

Most FRROs take applications from 9:30 – 1pm. After 1, they do not accept new applications, but remain open for those already in line.


Why should I go to the FRRO?

The FRRO provides three major services for foreigners:

1.) Registers your presence, issues a residence permit (RP), and registers any change of address

2.) Extends or converts certain kinds of visas

3.) Grants exit visas

Exit visas are for people who came into India without a visa (like a child born or adopted here), people who have overstayed their visa, or people who are in the extension process (usually just a simple paper slip in this last case).


Why do I need a residence permit (RP)?

The residence permit is a very important document that proves you are legally allowed to reside in India. It is used for getting your shipment from customs, setting up a bank account, getting a PAN card, getting a driving license, setting up an internet connection, and most importantly, leaving the country.

Your registration permit is specific to a certain location that should be in the same vicinity as your work. For example, even if your company has a registered office in Mumbai, you should not register in Mumbai if all of your work is going to be at their Bangalore office.

You are required to inform the FRRO if you will be away from your residence for more than 8 weeks, or if you officially change your residence. The residence permit is extended along with your visa. When you don’t need the RP anymore (leaving India for the last time), give it to the Immigration Officer at the airport.

If you do not yet know where you will reside within the first 14 days, register using your hotel/guest house address. Once you have found a place to live, go back to the FRRO and complete a change of address.


Can’t I just get an agent to do all this for me?

Agents are not allowed inside the FRRO, so you must do it yourself. If you rely on agents for everything else, consider this a badge of honor for braving the Indian bureaucracy. There is an exception for medical patients.


How many times do I have to register?

You only have to register once per visa. If you need to extend a visa, you will need to go back to the FRRO to renew it.


What should I expect when I go?

(Every office is different, but most follow something like this:)

First, go online to fill out the application form and set an appointment.

When you arrive, you will wait in line to see the Scrutiny Officer. This is like the triage line. The Scrutiny Officer takes a printed checklist of all the documents you need and gives an initial screening of your documents.

If he/she thinks you have everything in place, you are sent to the Duty Officer who gives you a token to see an actual agent at the counter. If the Scrutiny Officer thinks you are missing documents, he will give you the required checklist and send you back home. If it is for a small form you can get quickly, you may try to plead with the Duty Officer to still give you a token, but he is not obligated to do so.

Your token will tell you what place in line you are and which window you should go to. While you wait, make sure your documentation appears in the exact same order as the checklist the Scrutiny Officer gave you. Just because the Scrutiny Officer allows you to get a token does not mean that your request will automatically be approved. That is up to the agent (and subsequent superiors) you meet with later.

The wait for the FRRO Officer can be very long. It is ok to leave and come back, but do not be late. Once your token is called, the agent at the window will examine all of your documents in detail. Their job is to find any mistakes or missing documents. If they find something, they will let you know and tell you to fix it and come back. If everything is in order, they will process your request.

Processing can be done on the same day for easy requests like change of address. It can take weeks in the case of extending a visa. If you or your spouse is Chinese it will take extra time as these requests must be processed by the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) in Delhi.


How do I make the visit as painless as possible?

The FRRO is a place of many horror stories, but can also be a place where you are pleasantly surprised at the efficient service you get if you follow the rules.

1. Show up early. Most offices usually start seeing people around 9:30am based on the numbered token system. The smart choice is to show up at least around 8:30am to get a low number. Don’t assume that because you have a token, someone will come and get you and invite you in when it is your turn. Sit near the door, be alert, and don’t let someone get in front of you.

2. Plan for two trips. Even if you follow the information given here perfectly, there is a great chance that there will be at least one thing wrong. Set your expectations low. If there is something missing, have the officer write out clearly what is missing and ask if you can skip the Scrutiny Officer the next day. The most likely scenario is that you will spend 4 hours there on the first visit and 3 hours on the second. If you do it in less time than that, celebrate!

3. Bring extra copies. It’s a bad feeling to sit in line for 3 hours and then be turned away because you are missing one copy of something. 3 copies of everything is a good rule of thumb, along with the originals.

4. Signed, Sealed, Attested. All copies of your personal documents should be self-attested (signed). All copies of corporate documents should be signed, stamped, and sealed. See How To Please the Babu for more help. Anyone who signs a document for you should also mention their contact details on the document and give you a copy of their identification proof (passport, PAN card, voter ID card, etc).

5. Just the right amount of information. At the FRRO, you may find that the Scrutiny Officer doesn’t require a certain document you brought. (Different locations can sometimes require different documentation.) Only give the officer what they specifically request and keep the rest of the documentation with you until they ask for it. There is always a chance they may find a fault with an ‘additional’ document you didn’t need in the first place.

6.) Be patient and friendly. Your approval can potentially be very subjective given the mood of the person you are speaking with. If you sit down in a fluster because you have been waiting for three hours and are very rude to them, you are not likely to get the best treatment back.

7.) No doesn’t always mean no. Remember that Grey is White in India and the rules can be up for interpretation if the situation demands it. The more you present yourself as an amiable, India-loving foreigner, the better your chances are to not have to come back for any small errors. If they initially reject a certain document, don’t get up immediately and sulk. Explain the situation, ask if it is absolutely necessary or if there is an alternative, but don’t be a Upset about it either.

Leave a Reply